An insurance policy is a contract between you and an insurance company, in which we promise to take over the financial costs of certain risks. The policy describes the item(s) covered, the risks you are covered against and specifies your rights and responsibilities, along with the terms and limits of the cover. We cannot stop those risks from occurring, but we can help to pay for them when they do.
  • Third Party: This Covers The Insured’s Liability To Third Parties In Respect Of Death Or Bodily Injury Or Damage To Property.
  • Third Party Fire & Theft: This Covers Loss Of Or Damage To The Insured’s Motor Vehicle, Accessories And Spare Parts As A Result Of Fire And Theft; And The Insured’s Liability To Third Parties In Respect Of Death Or Bodily Injury Or Damage To Property.
  • Comprehensive: Loss Of Or Damage To The Insured’s Motor Vehicle, Accessories And Spare Parts As A Result Of Accidental Collision Or Overturning, Fire And Theft, Malicious Damage; Damage To Windscreen, Loss Or Damage To Personal Effects Being Carried In The Vehicle, Medical Expense; And The Insured’s Liability To Third Parties In Respect Of Death Or Bodily Injury Or Damage To Property.
Under the law, the Certificate of insurance is required as proof of the existence of insurance. It must be returned if the policy is suspended or cancelled. If it is lost, you should advise us immediately.
  • Immediately Report It To The Police. Be Sure To Advise Them If The Original Documents Were Stolen With The Car.
  • If The Documents Were Also Stolen, Get A Letter From The Police To Go To The Various Authorities-Collector Of Taxes, Transport Authority, To Obtain Certified Copy Documents.
  • Report It To Your Insurance Company, Broker Or Agent And Complete The Required Form.
  • Take The Title, Registration Certificate And Certificate Of Fitness Along With Your Taxpayer Registration Number To The Tax Office To Have The Title Endorsed And Stamped
  • If You Had Not Yet Received The Title, Go To The Tax Office And Explain That The Vehicle Has Been Stolen So That They Can Expedite It, As You Must Have It Before Your Claim Can Be Settled.
  • Take All The Documents Along With The Keys If They Were Not Stolen, To The Insurance Company, Broker Or Agent.
  • If The Above Is Done And There Are No Extenuating Circumstances, Then Your Claim Should Be Settled In Four (4) To Six (6) Weeks. This Time Is Primarily To Allow The Police And Investigator To Investigate Fully And Attempt To Locate The Vehicle.
  • If The Vehicle Is Found Before The Claim Is Settled And It Is Damaged But Repairable, The Claim Will Then Be Treated As An Accidental Damage Claim And The Vehicle Repaired. You May Be Required To Assist The Police And The Insurance Company In Identifying The Vehicle.
  • If The Vehicle Is Found After The Claim Has Been Paid, The Vehicle Does Not Belong To You As It Has Already Been Transferred To General Accident. You Would Of Course Have First Option To Purchase.
  • Stop the vehicle immediately after the collision.
  • Try to avoid further accidents at the scene by taking the necessary steps to warn other road users. You can do this by using the car’s hazard lights.
  • Call the Police. If the police does not attend the accident scene, visit the nearest station and make a report of the accident within 24 hours.
  • If you are a Private Comprehensive Policyholder please call Accicare.
  • Take photographs of the scene of the accident, if possible, particularly the position of the vehicles.
  • If anyone is injured call an ambulance. If possible, try not to move the injured person as movement may cause further injury. Try to get the name(s) of the all the injured and as best as possible, make notes of the type of injuries. If you have a camera, take photos of the injured parties, if possible.
  • It is always helpful to get the names, addresses and contact numbers of all witness(es)
  • Get the full particulars of the other person(s) involved in the accident i.e. name(s) – owner and driver, TRN, driver’s license information, address, telephone numbers, vehicle details and insurer. You should give the other party your particulars.
Excess is applicable to comprehensively insured vehicles. It is that portion of the value of the vehicle for which the insured is responsible in the event of a loss. The applicable excess for a particular vehicle is determined by the type of vehicle.
Your motor policy is primarily designed to provide you with protection from liability/claims arising out of your misuse of the roads which result in injury or loss to other road users referred to as ‘Third Parties’.
All accidents must be reported to the nearest police station to which the incident occurred within 24 hours, however, the insured has thirty (30) days within which to make a report to the insurance company.
  • estimate of repairs
  • motor accident report form
  • drivers licence for the person operating the vehicle at the material time
  • Motor Vehicle Registration
  • Certificate of Fitness
An accident report is necessary to ensure that you have recorded your version of the event in case a third party opts to make a fraudulent claim or make a report to their insurer which is contrary to your version.
You are entitled to select a repairer of your choice to repair your vehicle and as such, the repairer would need to indicate the cost of repairs
Assessors are independent third parties and as such, insurers are guided by their reports. It should be noted that if your vehicle is not assessed insurer’s apply a non-assessment deduction which usually range between 15-30%
Claims take between 2-8 weeks to be settled based on the circumstances of the incident and if all the requisite forms and details are submitted in a timely manner
Betterment is applicable to parts that are subject to wear and tear, it is usually calculated on the cost of the new part which will be used to replace the deteriorated part. Salvage is the wreck that is left for vehicles that are subject to total loss.
A police report is needed to substantiate the occurrence or circumstance of an accident or to establish liability and to advise whether any one sustained injuries as a result of the accident.
You are allowed two windscreen claims per policy period up to the glass limit afforded by the policy. Making such a claim does not affect your NCD or premium.
  • No
  • No Claim Discounts are not transferable and is a reflection of your safe driving experience.
General Accident will allow you to pay your premium over two months, and extended to a third month at a minimal fee. Should an extended period be required we recommend the use of a premium finance company.
Any other person involved in an accident, this does not include the insured or his driver.

General Accident Insurance Company Jamaica Limited Unaudited Financial Statements Year Ended 31 December 2018

GENAC Q4 Results 2018 GENAC Management Team Report – Dec 2018 GENAC Directors and Connected Parti...

General Accident profits increase

There was an increase in profit at General Accident Insurance Company for the year ended December 31...

General Accident Insurance Company Limited (GENAC) Declares Dividend

General Accident Insurance Company Limited (GENAC)  has declared a dividend of $0.1455 per share pay...

Top seed Johnson on course in General Accident Open Tennis Championships - April 9

TOP seed Damion Johnson advanced to the semi-final of the 2016 General Accident Insurance Company Op...

Winners' Circle - September 24

Frozen Delights Distributors Limited Sales & Merchandising Manager Simone Abrego (right) and her...
Email Us